I don’t know what is better the frosting or the Red Velvet Cupcakes. Bet you can’t just eat one!
Recipe: Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 large eggs, room temperature and separated
- 1 & 1/3 cups
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tsp. – natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 c – unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 c – granulated sugar
- 1/2 c – vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- 2 TBS – liquid red food coloring
- 1/2 c – buttermilk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat 2 egg whites on high speed in a medium bowl until soft peaks form, about 2-3 minutes.
- Sift the flour and cornstarch together to make sure it is evenly combined. Whisk this, along with baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and beat on high speed until creamed together. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the oil and beat on high for 2 minutes. The butter may not completely combine with the oil. This is normal.
- Add 2 egg yolks and the vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed until combined. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Beat in the vinegar and the food coloring– until you reach your desired color. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mixing each addition just until incorporated. Do not over mix. Fold whipped egg whites into cupcake batter with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. The batter will be silky and slightly thick. (If there are any pieces of butter – They will melt inside as the cupcakes bake.)
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners filling 1/2 – 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when gently touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, transfer to a rack to completely cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. full-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 c- unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 c – confectioners’ sugar
- 1 or 2 TBS cream or milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and 1 Tablespoon cream – 2 mins.
- Add the vanilla and 1 more Tablespoon cream if needed to thin out.
- Beat on high for 1 minute. Taste the frosting and add a pinch of salt if too sweet.
- Frost cooled cupcakes