Classic French Toast
Try this Classic French Toast recipe.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, half-and-half, or milk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 6 slices thick bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Pure maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Whisk eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Place bread in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold bread slices in a single layer.
- Pour egg mixture over bread; soak 3 minutes. Turn slices over; soak until soaked through, about 3 minutes more.
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Fry half the bread slices until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to wire rack; place in oven while cooking remaining bread.
- Wipe skillet, and repeat with remaining butter, oil, and bread.
- Keep in oven until ready to serve. Serve you classic French toast warm with pure maple syrup, if desired.
TIP: use any bread sourdough, brioche, but I like Texas Toast because of it’s thickness and it adds more favor.
How about lunch: Classic Grilled Cheese & Delicious Grown Up Grilled Cheese