Play doh is really easy and way less expensive to make at home. You can also modify it however you’d like! Have a birthday party coming up? Make a big batch of green goo or pink glitter play doh! Want to make a whole bunch of colors, or your kiddo have their heart set on sky blue or mint green play doh? You can make it happen!
Since it’s so much less expensive, you can bake the Play-Doh for keepsakes without cringing at the cost. And, it’s incredibly fun for the kids to help make! Toys are way more special when the kids help to make them.
Here is our homemade play-doh recipe:
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ cup water
- 4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup salt
- 3 TBS vegetable oil
- food coloring – gel food coloring works best and dyes hands and surfaces less
- In a medium saucepan, stir together flour and water over low/med heat. Once combined, stir in all other ingredients except the food coloring.
- Stir regularly, cook over medium heat until it starts to thicken. Add in food coloring.
- Continue to stir the mixture over low heat. Mixture will start to thicken, binding to the spoon.
- When the dough is well formed and only lightly damp, remove from heat. Place on wax paper or onto a cookie sheet or plate to cool.
- After about 30 minutes when the dough is still slightly warm, knees for a few minutes. Knees again once it reaches room temperature.
- Store in a ziplock or airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 months, it at room temp for 1-2 weeks. If storing at room temp, wrap in plastic wrap to keep in moisture.