Road Trip Tips with Kids
Tips for Traveling with Kids
Traveling with children can be a challenge. We’ve got a few tips for you to help make traveling this holiday season a little easier!
Car Rides with children
It is easy enough to play games like “I spy…” or to try to see the most cars with license plates from different states with your children, but there are other ways to keep your child entertained that require a bit more forethought:
- Have a little activity bag filled with all kinds of toys to keep your children entertained: coloring books, crayons, snacks, etc. Have everything accessible so that you do not have to wait till the next stop before distributing.
- Use an empty DVD case to pack a small pad of paper and some coloring pencils inside. The hard case can also be useful for writing, but when I was younger, my parents bought me a travel desk – essentially a flat surface attached to a beanbag to put on top of my lap before our trip to the Grand Canyon.
- If traveling at night, packing glow sticks or glow necklaces is a way for your kids to travel in style.
- Audiobooks on CD or kid-friendly podcasts are great ways to spend long car rides as well. Something like “Harry Potter” can keep the whole family entertained! Alternatively, creating a playlist with your child may be useful and give them that always important sense of control.
- Buy some small toys or trinkets from the dollar store before the trip and wrap them up. Reward your kids for good behavior by letting them unwrap one every few hours.
- A little bit of online research will provide you with all kinds of printable games – I spy games, scavenger hunts, lines and dots, paper dolls, hangman, tic-tac-toe, etc.
- Make your kids little “passports” – little trip notebooks for them to record their favorite memories and put in stickers, pictures, tape in tickets or other paraphernalia from the trip–you can collect picture postcards from each place.
- If possible, leave before the sun comes up! Perhaps this way your child can keep sleep for the part of the trip!