Indulge with our chocolate hot cross buns recipe for Easter. It is a warm, homemade and yummy holiday treat.
Ingredients: Makes 16
- 2 tbsp. instant dried yeast
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1.5 c lukewarm milk
- 4.5 c plain flour
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 3.5 tsp butter melted
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2.5 c of chips
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c hot water
- 1 tsp gelatin
- Mix yeast, sugar and warm milk in a bowl and stir to remove any lumps. Set aside for 15 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and salt. Make a well in the center and mix in the yeast mixture, butter, egg, cinnamon and 1/3 of the chocolate chips.
- Knead dough for 5 minutes until elastic and place in a greased bowl covered with saran wrap in a warm area. Leave for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours until dough doubles in size.Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Punch down the dough and add the remaining cinnamon chocolate chips. Knead lightly and divide into 16 balls. If you want to add a little more chocolate to our buns: add a small chuck of you favorite semi, milk, or dark chocolate to the center of each ball (bun). Place close together on a greased baking tray. Cover with saran wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until done. While it is baking, get the glaze ready.Glaze: simply mix all three ingredients together shortly before the time is up on the buns
- When buns are ready, brush with glaze.
- Melt white chocolate and spoon into a zip lock bag. Then, cut a small corner to use as piping bag to drizzle the chocolate. Draw lines across top with the drizzle. Let chocolate dry. Top with butter to taste.